St John’s Deaf Club, initially named St John of Beverley was established in 1913.
It was however, usually known as Green Lanes after the road!
It has always been a second 'home' for many people living in North London.
Being strong in sports, the Club has had many teams, most notably football, which is still competing in the Deaf Cups in GB and Europe, but also badminton, darts and indoor games.
The building has been rebuilt several times after fires. The most recent being in 2000 which closed the Club for ten years. However, the North London Deaf Community campaigned hard to re-establish the Club again.
Being located in a fine position, by the Manor House tube station and several key bus routes, it is easy to get to and in the middle of three local authorities - Hackney, Haringey and Islington. It has always been popular with Deaf people of all ages and continues to be so today.
We will be revealing all of the photos and information about St john's Deaf Club's History in November to celebrate 100 years of St John's Deaf Club.